Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Final Call



As family and friends gathered
Around the deathbed
Someone silently hollered,
At my moribund being, to embed
The 10-minute final warning
Only I could hear the calling

For my final thoughts to start pouring
Others in tears, grasping at straws
Desperately, ardently pleading
Another fate would be the draw
Ten minutes more for sharing
With a loved one about to forever go

Amid all the tears, the grieving, the love
Warm clasps, loving kisses never before
Felt or sensed as though from up above
What feelings could I honestly pour
Onto a life all condensed in one final moment
With muddled memories of a life in torment?

My cat of years looked up at me jaded
Yawning, sticking out its tongue
Away from the angst, sauntered nimbly
A grim reminder, little would change

Snub futile dreams of immortality
Death the leveler is finally in range

As images of the past furiously flashed by
I smiled at the fulfillment I had sown
By the outpouring of love of those nearby
Forgiveness and grief leaving me forlorn
Happy that the ordeal would soon end
Sad at unknowing what lay around the bend

Darkness would soon descend
On my being that I couldn’t defend
Departing from loved ones onto the unknown
Yet all of those millions now gone
Had suffered a fate just as my own
All mostly forgotten, now ash or bone

Yet we may fear death as reprimand
Dread her as highest agony to understand
Truth is we die longer than being around
And when we pass, it is the climax
Of solutions, and problems for death to ax
No more bills or adrenaline, no more tax

Ready to leave now
Let me go now
Pain be gone
Life be gone
Into nothingness
Into painlessness

Peace will always remain
In Death’s eternal domain
As the soul’s sole terrain
No more sighs, no more breaths
After the certainty of death
Endless silence, as demise creeps in with stealth





©Alwi Shatry, June 28, 2017

20 comments:

  1. Such a bittersweet piece. Goodbyes, even the ones we go into knowing they are coming, are very hard for all involved... especially if the leaving is final.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that Magaly. No words can do justice to Fate's one-way ticket. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Why is it we are so unchangeable in life, only death able to do the deed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intriguing and profound question Amaya. Which raises yet another question: is it the fact of death or the realization of our impotence that will "do the deed", as you put it? Thanks for reviewing.

      Delete
  3. Nice meditation on death. We will all experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Frank. Indeed, we will all meet our end at some point. Yet that has not forestalled anxieties for so many, in the face of about the only certainty for mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you captured final thoughts well, Kweli. We ponder these last moments too seldom, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I agree that coming to terms with the inevitable is never easy. And no amount of analyzing and writing will do justice to the grand leveler.

      Delete
  6. As images of the past furiously flashed by
    I smiled at the fulfillment I had sown
    By the outpouring of love of those nearby
    Forgiveness and grief leaving me forlorn

    I have heard so much about past memories flashing in front of our eyes just minutes before death.. sigh.. you capture it so elegantly in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sanaa, sometimes I am left wondering whether it is my poetry or your eloquence that is worthy of praise. Regardless, thank you so much for visiting and reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've collected all those thoughts of the final moments... fear, sadness, regret.. I don't suppose anyone will ever be prepared for that final goodbye in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. No wonder most prefer to imagine we are immortal --- as an escape, I suppose.

      Delete
  9. Gayle Walters RoseJuly 28, 2017 at 9:22 PM

    Such a mystery death, and our society doesn't like to examine it very closely or talk about it much as if it will call it to us too soon if we do. I liked your perspective of being the one passing on and witnessing the ones around you...even the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Gayle. We have mostly left it to religion to explain death. Even then, and no matter our religious persuasion (or the lack of it), the mystery endures. Yes, glad you noticed the cat. The felines are not moved by our dreams of immortality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perhaps if we embrace a life fully knowing that death is always present we might have no need for such an end.Great write.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are remembered by lives touched along the way, so we best be sure to leave good memories as we pass into the Great Perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we may take loved ones for granted and assume forgiveness to be a right. Just thinking.

      Delete
  13. Alwi, this is like a punch in the gut--so realistic. And why couldn't "they" have shown that love throughout life? I've written poetry from the POV of my own death. When I was a hospice nurse, we used to ask patients to "choreograph" their own death (when appropriate.) Very effective write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Victoria. But as loathed and feared as death is, it nonetheless evokes sentiments like no other, when the final call arrives. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  14. Those precious minutes at the deathbed of a loved one. Thanks for sharing the link to this with me at my quest4peas.wordpress.com website.

    ReplyDelete